Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 9396 times)

RyuKajiya

A few questions
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
Hi,
I am currently looking for an easy to use 3D Java Api and yours looks very promising compared to others out there.
I have a few questions tho and hope you can help me with those.

After reading through the tutorials do you have a simple example for the minimum that is needed to create a simple application somewhere ?
I could take the first one and cut out everything thats not needed for initialization but if you have such a template somewhere it would be nice to see it.
Especialy maybe with all possibilities to configure settings explained with short comments (like adding modelloader and shader generator to assetmanager etc.).

All the tutorials focus on working with models and a few examples to build a UI, do you have any components for creating or storing terrain information ?
As far as i can see i could use the Batch class to create some grid but some helper class especialy for terreain would be nice (something with multiple texture bindings you can tie to height or regions).

Is there any support for physics in your engine, or can you use other libraries (like jBullet) for that.

Is there any support for pre and post rendering filters (especialy usefull to create water with waves and foam effects) ?

How would you create different kinds of camera with you engine ? I havent played arround with it yet, but i have seen a question about positioning of the camera in the forum allready. What i am looking for would be examples to implement a free looking camera, some kind of isometric half free looking (zooming in and out plus turning arround a focus point keeping the angle) and some kind of third person camera you can bind to a model so it will follow it, maybe with possibilities to zoom and control angel to some extend.

Sorry if some of my sentences are hard to grasp, but english is not my nativ language, but i hope i made my questions clear enough ;)

jerome_j

• Administrator
    • Bonzai Engine
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
After reading through the tutorials do you have a simple example for the minimum that is needed to create a simple application somewhere ?
I could take the first one and cut out everything thats not needed for initialization but if you have such a template somewhere it would be nice to see it.
If you look at the tutorial source from the distribution, you'll find standalone tutorials which seems exactly what you ask for.

do you have any components for creating or storing terrain information ?
You can use a height texture and load it in a model.
It is very basic but you can to that by setting the stream of the ModelReaderSettings to your heightmap texture, textureStream to the diffuse texture of the terrain and heightmapGridDepth / heightmapGridWidth / heightmapHeight / heightmapOctreeMaxFaces to adjust some terrain options.

Is there any support for physics in your engine, or can you use other libraries (like jBullet) for that.
It is planned to integrated bullet physic engine in the future (possible native binding or jBullet), once our editor and some other feature will be enought advanced.

Is there any support for pre and post rendering filters
There's no existing pre/post effect integrated in our engine, but it should be relativly easy to use the engine in existing pre/post process effects.

How would you create different kinds of camera with you engine ?
There's no real limitation. You can use existing implementation or implement the camera behavior you want (matrix and quaternion utilities could be very usefull).
I'll post a tutorial about that during the week to show a basic camera implementation, this can certainly be usefull as a starting point for implementing other camera.

jerome_j

• Administrator
    • Bonzai Engine
Re: A few questions
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
Bullet physics has been integrated in the current 1.3.1 dev build of the engine.